Timmy Hansen returns to the podium in Kouvola.
Johan Kristoffersson missed the chance to win both rounds of the FIA World Rallycross Championship in Kouvola, Finland this weekend, but was still able to extend his lead at the top of the driver’s championship standings. Here is all you need to know:
– Kristoffersson produced a clean sweep during Saturday’s first round of the championship, topping each of the three qualifying sessions, winning his semi-final and then dominating from the first turn to secure victory in the final.
– It was the 22nd career victory for the 2017 and 2018 world champion who spent last season racing in the World Touring Car Cup.
– Speaking on Saturday, Kristoffersson said: “The final was very, very good. I had a very good start, like I had all day and from there on, the track was similar to how it was in the semi-final, so we could adapt a bit and do some small changes for the final which worked out well. It feels very nice to win practice, Q1, Q2, Q3, my semi-final and final today.”
– After a disappointing first race weekend in Sweden, reigning world champion Timmy Hansen got his season back on track with third place in Saturday’s final. Younger brother Kevin was also in the final but had to settle for sixth place after a sideways landing over a jump.
– Timmy said: “Johan was on another level today and it wasn’t possible to beat him but I’m happy with third. I definitely gave it everything I had in the final; it was a hard race between me and Niclas. He was also really fast, but at the end I was able to come out just in front.”
– Sunday’s second round of the championship saw Kristoffersson edge out Finland’s Niclas Grönholm to finish as TQ and then expertly handle the wet conditions to cruise to victory in semi-final 1.
– Kristoffersson started the final in pole position but was overtaken by Grönholm at the first corner and was then locked in a battle with both the Finish driver and Swedish compatriot Mattias Ekström.
– Heading into the final lap, Kristoffersson still had the chance to claim victory but ran wide in the final two corners and eventually had to settle for fourth place.
FIA World Rallycross of Finland: Round 3
1. Johan Kristoffersson 04:04.669
2. Juha Rytkönen 04:07.779
3. Timmy Hansen 04:08.731
4. Niclas Grönholm 04:08.962
5. Timo Scheider 04:09.996
6. Kevin Hansen 04:11.304
FIA World Rallycross of Finland: Round 4
1. Niclas Grönholm 05:05.975
2. Mattias Ekström 05:06.369
3. Timur Timerzyanov 05:07.323
4. Johan Kristoffersson 05:07.627
5. Timmy Hansen 05:08.041
6. Andreas Bakkerud 05:13.483
FIA World Rallycross Championship
1. Johan Kristoffersson 111
2. Mattias Ekström 94
3. Niclas Grönholm 76
4. Timmy Hansen 70
5. Kevin Hansen 64