Ten rounds start around iconic Holjes track as Team Hansen want crown again.
The 2020 FIA World Rallycross Championship season gets under way finally across the weekend of August 22-23 with the first two rounds at the World RX of Sweden as the Hansen brothers and Johan Kristoffersson battle it out. Here is all you need to know:
– Rallycross is a short, head-to-head combination of rallying and circuit racing on mixed surfaces like dirt and asphalt contained within amphitheater venues as high profile drivers can accelerate from 0-60mph in less than two seconds – faster than an F1 car.
– Iconic Swedish track Höljes will host the first two rounds as Timmy Hansen looks to defend his 2019 crown from younger brother Kevin and two-time champion Kristoffersson.
– Team Hansen has Timmy and Kevin racing hard against each other as father Kenneth and mother Susann act as Team Principal and Team Manager respectively.
– Kenneth is the most successful rallycross driver in history with 14 European RX titles, while Susann is the only woman driver ever to have won a European title.
– Timmy will use #1 on his traditional blue Peugeot 208 WRX that sports light blue accents, while Kevin switches from #71 to #9 with yellow accents for his 208 car.
– After finishing second in 2015, Timmy won four rounds last season to edge out Norwegian Andreas Bakkerud for the title on countback with Kevin just 12 points behind them both.
– The 28-year-old knows that 2020 will be harder still as Kevin looks to build on his 2019 Abu Dhabi race win and fellow Swede Kristoffersson returns from the World Touring Car Cup.
– Timmy said: „If we are fast in Höljes, we can be fast anywhere. I want to continue what we did last year; the best season that I have ever had as a racing driver. But I still have more to give, more left in me and I can still become a better rallycross driver.“
– Kevin, 22, added: „I think the new livery looks amazing. To start the season with my home race is very exciting. We’re used to double headers and the team is as well, so this format won’t feel like a surprise. Becoming world champion is the ultimate goal.“
– Kristoffersson, 31, won his first WRX title in 2017 on the back of seven round wins then won an astonishing 11 out of the 12 rounds in 2018 to win by 93 points.
– He will be driving the VW Polo GTI for Volkswagen Dealerteam BAUHAUS in 2020, the team managed by his father Tommy – a winner of a European RX race.
– Bakkerud is back eager for his maiden WRX title as Finn Niclas Grönholm, Russian Timur Timerzyanov and Latvian Jānis Baumanis should also challenge too.
– In terms of the toughest tracks, Höljes‘ big kerbs and big jump to finish will pose big problems while Montalegre’s 1,800m situation above sea level will be a tricky test of high altitude racing as Formula One circuit favourites Spa and Nurburgring feature as well.
2020 FIA World Rallycross Championship calendar
August 22-23: RD#1-2 – World RX of Sweden, Holjes
August 29-30: RD#3-4 – World RX of Finland, Kouvola
September 19-20: RD#5-6 – World RX of Riga-Latvia
October 3-4: RD#7: World RX of Benelux, Spa-Francorchamps
October 10-11: RD#8 – World RX of Portugal, Montalegre
October 17-18: RD#9 – World RX of Barcelona-Catalunya
December 12-13: RD#10 – World RX of Germany, Nurburgring